Thursday, September 10, 2015

Hello all!!!!! Well, I cannot believe it but I have finally returned home to the Unites States. It has been a weird transition. Things feel like they are mostly the same and almost like I've never left but it also feels unusual and non routine to be here and see people. It feels as if I've been here all along and yet all my memories of the past year are of somewhere else doing other things. It's hard to describe. Upon arriving home I was instantly greeted by familiar accents, faces, scenery, and smells. It was a bizarre moment to land in New York city, where I had my lay over, and to pull out my phone and start texting again. I found it weird that on the plane, lunch was served at 11:30 am. My British self went hold on, lunch isn't until at least 1pm!

So I arrived home. You will be glad to know myself and most of my stuff made it home in one piece. My day of travel was a bit interesting, starting when I arrived at Heathrow airport in London with my host family to check in for my flight. Being prepared prior to coming to the airport that my suitcase would be overweight and I was going to just have to suck it up and pay the extra fee, it turned out that my bag was so overweight that the airline couldn't take it (this being contradictory to what the bathroom scale at home said by a significant margin). So we had no choice but to take out a few things and have my host family ship them to me. Thank you again host family! This was the first God send of the day.

Once the bag made weight enough that the airline would take it and I check my carry on,  we made our way to security and there I said goodbye to the amazing host family that has supported me, loved me, accepted me, tolerated me, enriched me, and grown with me throughout the past year. It was sad to say goodbye but it didn't really feel like goodbye. I know I will see them again one day and we will keep in touch. So I left having that happiness in my heart which made it more like saying see you later.

After a slight delay in security because my book bag tested positive for explosives in the first screening, I made my flight and it was very nice! It only took a little over seven hours and really only felt like four or five. I caught up on some sleep and journaled before safely landing in New York about mid day, US time. I could tell the jet lag had gotten to me though. Next I had to re-check my luggage, so I went to baggage claim and got my big suitcase off the carousel. Then, as no one wants to hear, I heard my name being called over the intercom! So I went to check it out and there sitting next to the security lady was my carry on suitcase...split wide open! Apparently the zipper broke on the journey down from the belt to the carousel and split when it hit the bottom. (I want to say thanks to God that it didn't split open anywhere else in the journey and only did so when someone was able and willing to pick up all the stuff and bring it safely with the suitcase to me). I was just thankful that all my stuff was there and none of it was broken! The second God send of the day.

The people at security were very nice. Because I had another flight, they rushed me to the front of lines, checked my suitcases at baggage check for me after giving me a brand new carry on bag for my troubles, and sent me straight to security. I was so thankful and so blessed to have such nice people helping me out. Yet another God send of the day! Then I was on my way home to Ohio! As we lowered closer to the airport to land, I started to tear up as I looked out the window and saw familiar houses, complexes, big stores, even baseball fields on the ground. I was a bit overwhelmed with the realization that I was home! This excitement continued as I looked wide eyed out the window, screaming on the inside, as I watched the familiar Columbus airport reveal itself around me, seeing the Columbus skyline in the distance...images I hadn't seen in a year.

You will be happy to know both my bags arrived safely to Columbus and in no time I was phoning my Mom and sister to come pick me up...after an emergency charge of my battery when my phone died minutes before landing of course. The familiar muggy heat, smells, and sounds of locusts flooded my senses as I stepped outside onto the passenger pick-up point letting me know that I was finally home.

Since being home, I've been taking things pretty easy and visiting with friends and family. I've battled the jet lag a bit, still waking up at 5 am US time each morning but forcing myself back to sleep in order to adjust. I've spent time with my Mom and sister, visiting my sister at her new apartment and job nearer now to where I live. I've been out to dinner with some friends and starting the catching up process. I've started exploring the "new familiar" of streets, restaurants, and stores like Kroger and Walmart. Things that seem so familiar and yet I look at them now with new eyes of appreciation and intrigue. My first meal when I got home was a Chipotle burrito and maaan was it amazing!! I got behind the wheel for the first time in a year last week when my sister let me drive around the parking lot lol and since then have gotten myself a vehicle in order to get around.

 Last week I went to a sweet corn festival and have now begun my travels to visit friends and family. So far I've visited my Grandma and my Dad, and attended my best friends Bachelorette party, also known as a Hen Do. I was so happy to see my best friends again all in one room. It was beautiful to see how we've all grown up, as we have been friends for over 12 years, and still very close. It was so fun and a bit emotional to celebrate one of my oldest friends getting married. I also got to see her in her wedding dress at her final fitting. Lots of emotions!! In the immediate future I plan to continue visits with family and friends, attend YAGM Re-Entry, Ohio University Homecoming Weekend, and look for a job.

I'm home!!

Aftermath of my bag

A wonderful welcome home with this adorable sign made by my Mom and sister

At the grocery store in the international section. Found some British treats!!


all the essentials lol

So many different kinds of Oreos!!

American jello...

At the corn festival. Oh America

Yay corn on the cob!!

This is Elephant Ear. Fried dough with cinnamon and sugar

My Grandma is the Queen!

The Bride to be

Team Bride

The new ride

Please pray for me as I continue the adjustment to being home and for guidance and God's blessing as I look for a job. Blessings to all of you both in the US and the UK as you start back to a regular schedule with jobs and school. Please keep the other returning volunteers in your prayers as well as the ones just starting their year of service abroad. God Bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment