Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Lesson in Appreciation...so today was a stay at home day for us five YAGMs staying just north of London for a week until our placements start. We spent most of the day hanging around our dorm and doing laundry. Later in the afternoon, I went to take a shower that I was very much looking forward too after feeling gross from walking all the previous day and then being too tired to shower before bed. So as I went to shower and warm up the water, I began to realize that the water was not getting any warmer. I stood there for quite some time (a little longer that I would like to admit with the water running) and nothing. I even tried another shower and nothing. I realized that from all the laundry being done today, with most of the students being home since it was a Sunday, the hot water had run out in the building.

As you could imagine, I was initially upset and about to refuse to take a freezing cold shower when I remembered that there were fellow YAGMs living in communities around the world right now who didn't even have access to a clean shower or even running water. So...I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I decided to be appreciative of what I had and use the clean, indoor running water to get clean and, to nominate myself for my own ice bucket challenge lol. Sorry, I didn't take a video in this particular case. So, next time you go to use any water, remember that you are the minority. The majority of the world has to either fetch water each and everyday, multiple times a day to drink and bathe from or, they only have enough each day to complete basic tasks such as feeding their family. Be thankful for what you have. I certainly am trying to.

1 comment:

  1. A very good point!! Thank you for bringing that to my attention. We usually take things for granted, that so many others only dream of having.

    ReplyDelete